Joe Naughton Auctioneers present this fantastic opportunity to purchase Circa 13.99 acres of zoned commercial land in Monksland, Athlone, Co. Roscommon.
Located in the heart of the growing business district of Monksland which is home to several of Athlone’s large pharmaceutical industries which include Alkermes, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, and Jazz. Also situated beside the site is Arran Chemical Company Limited (a member of Almac Group), Oliver Carty, Athlone Springs Hotel and close-by is Westpoint Retail Park.
This prime location has been identified at a regional and government level as a key strategic district for employment and economic growth.
Located on the Western side of Athlone Town on the R362, approx. 750 metres west of Junction 13 of the M6 (Dublin to Galway Motorway).
Athlone is strategically located 85 kms east of Galway City and 125 kms west of Dublin City.
The site in zoned for District Centre & Business, Enterprise Park/Light Industry & Warehousing as indicated on the map.
- Provide a range of retail and non-retail service functions, including social and community functions, at a level which will serve the population of the Plan area, but will not affect the viability and vitality of neighbouring Athlone town.
- Purpose built group of shops.
- Provide for the development of a mix of commercial/retail uses including a convenience shop(s) such as a supermarket or superstore, comparison shops, non-retail services, such as banks, building societies, restaurants, pharmacies, take away, video/DVD rental, public house, and dental/medical surgery.
- Provide for local services such as medical centre, offices, workshops, crèche, petrol station, waste segregation facility (bring bank), launderette, where appropriate, to meet the needs of the community.
- Where appropriate, provide accommodation over retail/commercial units, grouped small starter/incubator workshops, craft or service units etc.
- Strong building design to provide focal points within mixed-use developments that will add legibility and clarity to the physical structure and layout of the development.
- The centre could be developed around a public/focal space, where appropriate
- Provide sustainable transport linkages such as public transport, adequate cycle and walkways from the district centre to surrounding residential areas.
- Require the inclusion of appropriate open spaces in development in this zone.
Business, Enterprise Park/Light Industry & Warehousing
- Provide for commercial, light industry, warehousing and enterprise units and ancillary uses such as training, education, childcare, financial, cafés, petrol station, fitness centre, parking and recycling facilities.
- Prohibit heavy industry and incinerators/thermal treatment plants.
- Encourage appropriate scale, density, type and location of development to reduce traffic generated and the demand for travel and sustainable modes of transport such as connections to public transport, walking and cycling networks.
- Provide transitional areas with appropriate landscaping where this zone adjoins other land uses.
- Provide for appropriate advertising and advertising structures.
- Provide for construction and demolition waste to be used as fill, with the associated licensing, prior to development of these sites.
- Encourage the use of existing suitable vacant floorspace prior to the development of new floorspace.
- Allow for the development of a limited element of retail warehousing at appropriate locations i.e. restricted to the sale of bulky comparison goods, including DIY goods, furniture, carpets, motor accessories, garden products, toys and electrical goods, provided there is no conflict with other policies and objectives of this LAP. This is intended to extend the range and choice of shopping available to residents of the area without diverting trade from existing shops or adversely affecting the vitality and viability of the existing Athlone town centre.
For further information please see the link below of Roscommon County Councils Monksland/Bellnamulla (Athlone West) LOCAL AREA PLAN 2016 – 2022 which is still their current plan.
For further information please contact our office.
All acreage are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.